Recommended directory to install GoGS to and user to use

Hello everybody,

the description of installation from binaries is quite brief:

1. Extract the archive.
  2. cd into the directory just created.
  3. Execute ./gogs web and you’re done.

It doesn’t say where to extract the archive and what user should run gogs.

Now I’m running into the “Run user isn’t the current user: git -> root” error, so these questions are not idle. I’ve extracted the archive to a subfolder of /root and I’m trying to run gogs by root. Is it ok to just set the user of gogs to root (in the ...:3000/install web interface) or this would be a security issue? If it is, what user should run it? (via sudo -u username ./gogs web, I believe) I’ve checked the list of users via cat /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1 and there’s no git or gogs user among them. Should I create one? What rights should it have?

I also suggest that the recommended folder and user to use are described in the installation description.

TL;DR All you asked is Linux basics, you can google it.

1. For non-dev use, try to use daemon (e.g. init, systemd, etc.), not ./gogs web &.
  2. You can run under whatever user, except root (not because you can’t, but you’ll be f*ked up one day…). By convention, Git service uses user git. Create if not exist, default permission with sudo-er if you use daemon.

Ok, here’s how I’ve solved this (just in case somebody else will be searching):

1. created the git user (adduser git), added sudo rights to it (usermod -aG sudo git)
  2. moved the contents of the extracted archive to /opt/gogs/ following the suggestion here and here
  3. set ownershipt of the folder (cd /opt/, chown -R git:git gogs)
  4. started gogs on behalf of the git user (su - git, ./gogs web; tried sudo -u git ./gogs web before but that didn’t work)

Still I suggest that the recommendation to put the gogs folder to /opt/ and to create the git user if it doesn’t exist is added to the installation description (link in the initial post).

By the way, @Unknwon thanks for the suggestion about using daemon, although I didn’t get why you suggest it only for non-dev use. Isn’t it a measure to make sure that gogs will be running after system reboot or anything like that?