Problem "503 service Unavailable" since upgrade to gogs_0.10rc

This night my debian server upgrade (via cron-apt) to gogs_0.10rc and since this I got a “503 service unavailable” when I try to acces to the web interface.
The “top” command show that gogs is running either apache.

I’ve try to:

• update/upgrade my packages
  • restart gogs (no errors)
  • restart apache (no errors)
  • verified that the configuration file is readable and its values OK
  • verified that gogs’s logs don’t show any errors

Is there a way to downgrade or something similar to restaure the older functionnal version?
Any help welcome!

Hi, what is this?

"Apt is the system that Debian use for package update, installation and removal. Cron-apt help you to automate the updates. You can configure it to do anythig that you can do by running apt-get or aptitude."
see: http://inguza.com/software/cron-apt/

The result of cron-apt is equal than to do the following 2 commands manually:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

I think it’s your server config problem, not that Gogs is not working. Gogs could listened on some port you thought didn’t change but actually changed based on your configuration.

conf/app.ini (no custom configuration file):
HTTP_PORT = 3000

apache vhost conf file:
ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:3000/
ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:3000/

If you have used Gogs, there must be a custom config file, otherwise you can’t expect Gogs to function properly.

Gogs does not have any official support for packaging. So you may need to refer to the docs where you get the Gogs installation from.

Okay, I had exactly the same issue, i.e. HTTP 502 Bad Gateway error after upgrading the Debian package (from packager.io).

Turns out that gogs’ default listening port changed from 3000 to 6000, I have no idea whether this is a change in Gogs .10rc or in the Debian package from packager.io but the fix for me was to update the reverse proxy config (nginx in my case) to point the new port, restart ngnix and all was fine and dandy.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks a lot: changing the listening port works fine for me!
…and the question is: why the Debian packagers are they changing the default port ???

I have the same problem. Using the deb-package from packager.io on Ubuntu 14.04. However, after upgrading to 10rc, gogs simply ignores my config file with the port set up to be 3000 and simply starts gogs at port 6000. How is that possible?

You can manually edit the PORT line in /etc/init/gogs-web-1.conf then restart the service: it will use your chosen port.

Might well break at the next update from packager.io, though, though.

Hi,
I have a similar problem. At some point my gogs server (hosted on my own vps server and redirected sudomenie) shows the message:

Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This is strange because when I log in as root to the server and type the command ./gogs.web, it will display the message [TRACE] Log mode: File (Info) in the console, and the site starts working, but as soon as I shut down SSH console, the problem appears again.

What can I check? Where to start? I’m new to gogs.